- Quick A-Zs
- Support us
Contributing images to the archive:
Each one of the thousands of photos that you see here has been contributed by individual photographers at their own expense. They do this because of their passion for photography, Yorkshire and our heritage.
We welcome people for all over the county to add to this amazing collection. You don't have to be a professional photographer or even an experienced one. We're laying down an historical record so every image has value - we reject nothing (unless it's completely out of focus) and we credit every contributor by name.
Note: If you’re interested in contributing to the archive, please contact us. and we'll let you know what's involved. All contributors pay for their own film and devepment but, thanks to ILFORD we can provide B&W film at lower prices than you'd pay in shops or online and we can offer free training to develop your film at home for a little as 20p per roll.
About copyright assignment
We don't rely on grants – 'cos in true Yorkshire fashion we want to remain fully independent. By transferring copyright to the project, you can help it to survive – we can license and sell prints to bring in the funds that the project needs to pay for things like archival storage, server costs and admin. Over 14,000 images have been transferred in this way to the project so far. You can be a part of it and hand down the 'old photos' of the future to generations to come.
You can download the assignment form HERE.
1. Choose your film (B&W preferred as it will last longer in the archive, but we do accept colour).
2. Take your photos – as long as it's in Yorkshire and in focus, we'll accept it.
3. Develop and scan – this must be a TIFF and minimum 25MB. You can do it yourself, use our services (if you're a member) or use a commercial service (which can be expensive).
4. Edit the photo using your favourite photo editor – we recommend Lightroom.
5. Add a title, caption, location (including GPS), date and, of course, your name as the creator of the image – you can do all of this in Lightroom or use 'GeoSetter' free software.
6. Download and sign the After Alice Project copyright assignment form.
7. Send us the negatives and the signed copyright assignment document (by post) and the TIFF images (via Dropbox).
8. That's it – we'll do the rest and add your photos to the archive.
Please contact us to get started.